Scripps Networks Interactive leads media market in super serving lifestyle enthusiasts
Commissioned by Scripps Networks and executed by GfK, a trusted source of market and consumer information, the research included an online survey of 2,003 adults ages 25-64 and ethnographic interviews, conducted between
Super enthusiasts are influential consumers who are more likely to be regarded as experts by their peers in areas such as cooking, shopping, restaurant recommendations, vacation travel, automobiles, and home improvement. They place a high premium on the basic tenets of quality, integrity and responsibility.
Key findings of the research include:
- Super enthusiasts "do what they view."
- One out of every two takes weekly action triggered by a television show or advertisement.
- Three in every five (58 percent) take action based on something they read online, compared to only 41 percent among general public.
- Super enthusiasts are driven by a need to fulfill personal passions.
- More than half (56 percent) feel "more alive" when they're actually pursuing those passions, far exceeding the general public.
- They see cooking as an "art form" rather than a daily chore.
- They see the home as a "place for entertaining" or a "cozy retreat" rather than a simple investment.
- They equate travel with "adventure" and a means to connect with others.
- Super enthusiasts are highly engaged in categories beyond home, food and travel.
- They over-index in fitness and exercise (150), films and movies (155), and new technology (165).
- They're 40 percent more likely to shop at a department store and 23 percent more likely to shop at a home improvement store.
- They over-index on new vehicle purchases (138) and leases (160) and are 23 percent more likely to spend over
$40,000and 42 percent more likely to spend over $60,000on those vehicles.
- They are active investors and over-index on financial products such as brokerage accounts (167), IRAs (148), money market accounts (182), and are nearly twice as likely to hire a financial planner.
The findings shore up the foundation of Scripps Networks' "Life Lives Here" ideology, the central message in the company's marketing endeavors, most visibly in the recent advertising sales Upfront tour.
"We've established our media lifestyle genre as a solid and separate advertising category, on par with sports," said
The impact of the super enthusiast is still to be determined but could potentially influence media strategies throughout the industry for the foreseeable future.
About Scripps Networks Interactive
Scripps Networks Interactive is one of the leading developers of engaging lifestyle content in the home, food and travel categories for television, the Internet and emerging platforms. The company's lifestyle media portfolio comprises popular television and Internet brands HGTV, DIY Network,
Source: Scripps Networks Interactive
Scripps Networks Interactive
Kristin Alm, 865-560-4316